Yes. This is a resolutions post.
Now that we cleared that up let me explain why I need this. I felt that I had some great ideas at the beginning of last year. Some of these ideas turned out, but some of them did not, and I believe that was because I never took the time to write them down anywhere. So this post is more for me just to have these ideas (currently spinning in my head) written down somewhere for me to look back on throughout the year to make sure I am “on track” with what I want to accomplish in 2013.
Personal (no particular order)
- Spend more time with my family – I know this is somewhat broad, but I need to work on this one. Between having a full time job, and running a business on the side, a lot of my time is taken up by work. I find myself telling Molly no, or “ask your mom”, a lot because daddy has to work. Not cool.
- Adopt a healthier lifestyle I know, I know. Everyone says this at the beginning of the year. What gives me an edge is that I already started this in 2012, and want to build on top of it. I lost 40lbs in 2012 (gaining close to 10 back), and I want to lose some more. Really though I want to be healthier. That means both diet and exercise. Plus it will help me with my stress.
- Find a hobby that doesn’t require staring at a screen – 90% of my time when I am not sleeping consists of me staring at a screen of some kind. I think for my own sanity and well being I need to cut this number down as much as possible. Chances are this will help me with the two things listed above. I just need to chose something and do it. Wood working, home brewing, bike riding…
- Read More – Whether it is to learn something or just for entertainment I want to start reading more to expand my way of thinking.
- Embrace more minimalism in my life – This is something I have been reading about for the last part of 2012 and something I am genuinely interested in. I know there is a lot of unnecessary things that I can shed from my life.
- Improve my credit – I made dumb choices as a young adult, and am paying for them now. Want to change that.
Professional (no particular order)
- Don’t take on more than I can handle – I was certainly guilty of this a lot in 2012. As any freelancer, or small business owner, can attest to it is hard to say no to projects coming your way. Often times I had way to much on my plate, and since I don’t work full time on WeDoDev I didn’t always have the time. This caused a lot of my hair to fall out over the year.
- Build a solid team – I am lucky that I have some good relationships with a number of designers. In order to continue growing (like I want to) I have to have a strong network of people that will allow me to accomplish what I need to without me having to do everything. Specifically what I need now is another awesome WordPress developer.
- Decide on an organization method and run with it – I try to keep things together in my head. That just doesn’t work when you get past a very small workload. I really like the idea of a GTD app, but have never really dove all in to using one. I need a way to manage everything on my plate.
- Build, maintain, and offer an actual product – I feel pretty confident that with my current skill set I can build and offer a premium product and sell it. Something that is not a service, but rather a product someone buys. This will probably be a WordPress theme
- Collaborate – I know some talented people. No more talk. Time to work together and get something done
Overall I am after a more clear and concise life. Bring it on 2013.